Taken from an article "The Flo News" written by Norma Moore in the
Buffalo Express newspaper
April 30, 2003
May 14, 2003
The Middleton Leon County Settlement
established in 1844. It being named for W. Middleton who with his
father W. D. and his two brothers Benoni and Thomas Middleton immigrated
to the new founded Leon County in search of farm land at reasonable
They being the first pioneer settlers
of the new Texas land W. B. and establishing a general store being
popular with the other settlers who soon made Middleton their new home,
was reason the township was named for W. B. Middleton. The town
Middleton at its beginning was farmland and the Middleton general store
which supplied the few settlers feed, farm and see items that was
The Middletons, James Riley, Philpot
Easton, Howell Hinton, Christopher Staley, Baxten King and the Byrns
families all as the first settlers found hardships with the Indians who
were the previous owners of this Leon County Land. They suffered
from raids stealing of their livestock produce and other items.
Families built Fort Boggy for protection from the Indians.
After the Indian uprising was
partially conquered General Sam Houston called for troops to fight the
invading Mexican Army who intended to take Texas. These Middleton
settlers were thrown into another hardship. W. B. and Benoni
Middleton and Baxton King joined with General Sam Houston of Mexican
War. All three of these men with other soldiers were captured by
the Mexicans Benoni losing his life, W. B. and Baxton lived to come back
home to Middleton.
W. B. Middleton was the
first Sheriff of Leon County, he served two terms. A Post Office
was established in Middleton, Sampson Holleman was the first Post
Master. Other Post Masters were John Marshall, W. B. Middleton,
Wiley Davis, Eugene Houston, William Faucett, Mrs. Tippie Adams, Mrs.
Jennie Coleman, and Mrs. Frankie Moore.
The post office closed in 1954.
Other businesses of Middleton were a Brick Kiln Mill, and Ice House, a
Saloon, a Blacksmith shop, Garage, a canning house, two cotton gins,
owned by Coy and Bob, and D. C. McCoy. W. C. Adams was the Justice of
the Peace, Oscar Davis was the Constable. After the Middleton
Store was owned and operated by C. F. Thompson and his brother then the
Dewitt Coleman family were owners operators of the Middleton Store for
many years. The Coleman family served some delicious barbecue that
was bought from the local people and the many visitors who found their
way to the Middleton Store. The Dewitt Coleman Family are
descendants of the Benjamin Coleman Family.
The Middleton, Leon County Settlement was established in
1844. It was one of our earliest settlements located in the southeast
section and was named for W. B. Middleton. He was the owner, operator
of the first Mercantile store of the community and he was an important
homesteader who provided a business opportunity. He was a brave soldier
of the Texas, Mexican War, the first sheriff of Leon County, a gentleman
who as a citizen gave time and money for the betterment of our Leon
County people. It seems the title of Middleton was most worthy of W.
Middleton since its beginning had been known for its fertile
farm land. At first the farmers rich supply of cotton and corn crops
provided our county with resourceful market which brought recognition
and wealth and through the years Middleton has been recognized for the
bounty of a variety of vegetables, for its lush pasture land, for
horses, cattle. The sweet delicious watermelons are sought by our local
people and by visitors and still today their sweet ears of corn are
sought after all these years.
1892-1893 were the best for Middleton. It was populated with
different well organized businesses, a church, a post office, a saloon
and two cotton gins was a busy thriving community.
Middleton never had a proper school system, yet Clint Adams a
teacher of the community made provisions to teach the children in a
small house that was located behind the community church which was not
built until 1939. Worship services prior to this were held at Jeff
McCoy's garage. The Jeff McCoy family being longtime settlers, had been
and are vital of great success and prosperity. Clint Adams was a
concerned teacher who taught his students the basic reading, writing,
math and spelling academic. He often spent time in their homes for more
teaching lessons. Middleton's population dwindled during WWII, yet
ancestors of the first settlers have remained and today other ancestors
have returned and other families are finding Middleton to be the proper
place for their new home. All agree Middleton is the home of
warm-hearted people who love God and care for each other.